This ViaRhôna stage goes along both banks of the Rhône. This route is provisional. It leads between crests and plateaux, through landscapes marked by lakes and waterfalls. Then you come to a land of vineyards and gastronomy set below the Bugey Range, passing delightful little historic stops like Belley, Culoz and Chanaz. This physically-demanding stage is along a mix of greenways and roads.
Distance 33.2 km
Don't miss :
- Lavours : its marshes, declared a nature reserve in 1984, with a nature trail on raised boardwalks to allow you to appreciate this exceptional site to the full.
- Belley: a charming historic town with Roman roots. It’s renowned as the birthplace of Brillat-Savarin, a ground-breaking writer on gastronomy who encouraged the area’s culinary traditions.
- Ruffieux: visit the prestigious Chautagne wine cellars here.
- Chanaz: an enchanting village beside the Canal de Savières, offering an outdoor sports and recreation centre, cruises to Lac du Bourget, and tours of an historic walnut oil mill
- Aix-les-Bains/Chambéry: reach the historic lake-side thermal spa town of Aix-les-Bains by boat from Chanaz; then a greenway, partly beside Lac du Bourget, leads south to Savoie’s historic capital, Chambéry. Bikes are accepted on boats from Chanaz, but you must book in advance: +33 (0)4 79 63 45 00
- Culoz : Wednesday morning
- Belley : Saturday morning
31T 719612 5093157
EquipmentBefore you leave:
- Make sure that the bike is in perfect mechanical condition, not to mention the tires and brakes
- Make sure that the bike is correctly adjusted to your body shape
- Wearing a helmet is strongly recommended
- Take a repair kit with you
- Remember that the Highway Traffic Act applies to cyclists in all circumstances
- Never drive more than two lanes at a time and pull into a single lane when traffic conditions require.
- Respect other users as you would like them to respect you
- Choose a route adapted to your physical abilities
- Inform your family and friends of your itinerary
- Find out about the weather conditions
- A first aid kit is not essential, but can be very useful
- Be informed and keep the emergency numbers.
- Respect the environment by not throwing your food packaging on the side of the road
- If you have to return at nightfall, make sure you see and also be seen
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view